Acoustic treatment on a budget seems to be a combination of snake oil and black magic at first, and many resources on the internet are nothing more than best guesses and invalid statements. Don’t fall for the hype, look for the facts instead!
My articles on acoustic treatment are based on the following resources. They all contain acoustic performance data for a variety of acoustic bass traps, acoustic panels or other acoustic material such as fibreglass wool or mineral wool.
I consider all of them to be of higher (if not excellent) quality than most other blog- or forum posts.
- Acoustic Treatment and Design for Recording Studios and Listening Rooms by Ethan Winer
- Ethan Winer’s Rigid Fiberglass density tests
- Bass Traps 101 – Your Guide to Corner Bass Trap Placement
- Details on Owens-Corning 703-FRK and 701 and 705
- Rockwool SOUNDPRO ® Guide
- Vicoustic Acoustic products performance data
- Netwell NoiseControl Acoustic foam products
- BASF PlasticsPortal – Basotect
- Auralex Studiofoam Bass Trap Spec Sheet v4
- EQ Acoustics Acoustic performance data
- RealTraps – Acoustic Basics
- Do-it-Yourself Bass Traps By Ethan Winer
- DIY bass traps made easy – Ready Acoustics
- Sound On Sound: What’s the right type of Rockwool?
- ISOVER Saint-Gobain Piano Ljudskiva/Rulle c600 [SV]
- Knauf Insulation Ljudiosolering Glasull på rulle [SV]
For a compiled summary of the acoustic material specifications I’ve managed to gather from the resources above, see my posts on Manufacturers of acoustic material.